PeopleFirst is an unprecedented collaboration of business, government, academic and civic leaders dedicated to strengthening Memphis and Shelby County’s cradle-to-career pipeline.
Spearheaded by a nonprofit, 501c3 organization called the PeopleFirst Partnership, the PeopleFirst agenda is a portfolio of initiatives anchored by four goals, ten strategies and key performance metrics.
Goal A: Children enter kindergarten ‘ready to learn’
- Strategy One: Early Parenting Support.
- Strategy Two: High-Quality Early Learning.
Goal B: Students graduate high school ‘college and career ready’
- Strategy Three: Effective Teachers and Leaders.
- Strategy Four: Instructional Reform and Higher Standards.
- Strategy Five: High Priority Schools Turnaround.
- Strategy Six: Third Grade Literacy Proficiency.
- Strategy Seven: Student Attendance.
- Strategy Eight: Post-Secondary Preparation and Access, and Career Readiness
Goal C: Adults earn degrees and certifications that prepare for local careers
- Strategy Nine: Post-Secondary Access, Completion and Industry-Driven Workforce Development.
Goal D. Talent is attracted to and retained in Shelby County
- Strategy Ten: Talent Engagement and Recruitment.
The Partnership advances its portfolio in five ways:
- Accelerate: Secure resources to expand what’s working.
- Initiate: Launch new solutions where there are gaps
- Advocate: Drive policy change and investment.
- Collaborate: Build alignment and coordinate resources around vision, strategies, policies.
- Educate: Foster awareness and greater learning around “cradle to career” key issues.